Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook 10/20/2009

Outside my window…..dark right now...and relatively quiet now that the 4 days of endless firecrackers have finally come to an end. These people are serious about celebrating their holidays!

I am thinking....that language learning is going to take a supernatural work of the L*rd!!! We go to a planning meeting on Saturday and should start next week.

I am thankful for….the treat of finding meat to buy today...we stocked up as we don't know when we'll get back to get more. "Mince beef" never looked so good. We have found a little chicken here and there as well. That will be easier to come by. But most people here are definitely vegetarians.

From the kitchen….well, that's an interesting situation. We did have peanut butter sandwiches tonight and Pringles! We are learning what is available here and have enjoyed fresh bananas, pineapples, and pomegranites from a fruit stand nearby. And to our great surprise there is pizza delivery which has come in quite handy! Our stove should be arriving in 8 more days.

I am wearing…jeans and a new top that I got at a mall in the downtown area. The dress is a little more western here in the city. We are looking for national clothing to wear for more special occasions and for trips outside the city.

I am reading…..well, for the first time in a long while I am not reading anything other than the
B!ble. Unless you count instruction manuals for water filtration systems and city street maps that seem like impossible mazes!

I am creating….shopping lists of household things we need, although we are finally getting most everything essential. We are also creating a very tall mountain of laundry b/c the washing machine broke down on Sunday. The repairman came today and said it was a discontinued model and probably not repairable because parts are no longer available. He would look to see what he could find, but that if we have not heard back within 3 days, we would have to get a new one. Joy! I did do one 'load' of jeans in a bucket. They took 2 days to dry b/c it was very difficult to squeeze out enough water like the washer's spin cycle! I shouldn't complain though....its better than using a river. :o)

I am hearing…..Elizabeth and Emma giggle in their bed...supposed to be sleeping, but they are giddy over their plans to find a new pet.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you….sorry, no picture this time, but more will be coming. I'm going to bed now!

2 comments:

Angie said...

I am praying for you as you adjust to your new life. I can SO relate to much of what you shared. I remember the new smells. Sometimes the sewer-type smells here are overwhelming. The last house we lived in had a terrible smell coming up from the pipes. We actually thought something had died on the roof then we found out the whole neighborhood smelled like that!

Our favorite restaurant here is food from your country!

I also can relate to washing jeans and them taking days to dry. I rubbed blisters on my hands wringing out clothes. Praying you get a new washing machine (or the old one fixed) soon.

Mich said...

The smell does take some getting use to...believe it or not I can still smell it.

Sorry about the washer. We had a ringer washer and had to put our clothes on the line.

I'm so happy you have found plenty of modern things to make your stay easier.

Prayers always...