Monday, January 5, 2009

Spiritual Family

Mark 3:32-35 A crowd was sitting around Him, and they said to Him "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are outside looking for You." Answering them, He said, "Who are My mother and My brothers?" Looking about at those who were sitting around Him, He said, "Behold My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of G*d, he is My brother and sister and mother."

The footnote in my study Bible says this: "Membership in G*d's spiritual family, evidenced by obedience to Him, is more important than membership in our human families."

We were reminded of this passage as we reflected on the various people we have been around in the past few weeks. We marvel at how we feel an instant connection with people we have never even met. And how we have strong bonds with people in our home church family. Connections and bonds with people that aren't technically 'family', but they feel as though they really are family to us. And this scripture passage explains why that is! Those who are walking with G*d are part of our spiritual family....our eternal and everlasting family. Which reminds me of this:
"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with G*d's people and members of G*d's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Je$us himself as the chief cornerstone."
I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. John 6:47
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting G*d, the Creator of the ends of the earth. Isaiah 40:28
I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your G*d and the G*d of your descendants after you. Genesis 17:7

1 comment:

Mich said...

You and your family are an inspiration to me. Believe it or not, even though I've been a part of the "missionary journey" before, it is still hard thinking of laying it all down and traveling across the oceans to "live." I love your quote from Jerry Rankin...beautiful. I had the honor of knowing him and his family growing up. They lived in Thailand when I did and I am friends with his kids. He is a beautiful soul and totally knows what he is talking about and where you've been.
In the end there really is no greater joy than serving the Lord, is there? Without servanthood, believing in God is like cake with no icing. Life is good in Christ, but can be so much sweeter when we decide to obey."
You are in my prayers.