Monday, January 5, 2009

Bible study

The kids are studying the book of Matthew right now. I take a chapter and break it down into 4 sections for the kids to read over 4 days, and they write down answers to questions that I have taken from the text. On the 5th day, we have discussion day and talk about what we've read and how it applies to our lives today. This week we are studying chapter 10 and these verses are especially meaningful to me and it would mean the world to me if my kids can let this truth sink deep, deep within and take root.

Je$us is teaching the disciples:
"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matt. 10:37-39)
One of the questions they are to answer:
Who are we supposed to love more than our mother or father or our son or daughter?

I know they will know the answer they are supposed to write down, the "Sunday School answer" is what we call it....but will they actually do that? Will they truly live that out in their lives? Will they love Him above anyone and anything? Will they follow Him to the ends of the earth if He asked? Will they die to self and live for Him? Oh, how I pray the answer is yes. Oh, how I pray my own answer is yes, each and every day.

No comments: