"There are harvests that will grow only once the plow has done its work."—Streams in the Desert
We are now three weeks into language class in our new country. We are having great progress as we have learned to say hello/goodbye, how are you, count, colors, common objects, introduce ourselves, our spouse, and our children, ask what something is called, how to order food and ask for things, and how to ask where something is (most importantly, the bathroom!!!) We had someone come and sit in on our class after we had been meeting for 6 days. As I tried to show her what we had already learned, I was encouraged to realize that it was impossible to get her up to speed, which meant we really had learned a lot in a very short time. But still, as we read wonderful newsletters of our colleagues and updates in the ministries of those who came out at the same time we did, I found myself feeling a bit discouraged because I feel like we are basically starting all over again. But then I read this quote: "There are harvests that will grow only once the plow has done its work." I was quickly reminded that learning language is part of the work of the plow. And the work done in us as we trust the Father through this process of starting over with a new language is another work of the plow! And all works of the plow are essential to prepare the fields. We can't just jump into harvesting, as much as we'd like to do so.
"Never consider the final outcome or possible results…Obey Him even when He asks you to move while you still see only darkness, for He himself will be a glorious light within you. Then there will quickly spring up within your heart a knowledge of G0d and a fellowship with Him, which will be overpowering enough in themselves to hold you and Him together, even in the most severe tests and under the strongest pressures of life." –Springs in the Valley
We are still in that initial phase of figuring out how to do life here. We had an adventuresome weekend of water problems! We ran out of water in both of our tanks, then discovered our water meter was missing, got the tanks refilled, got a meter put back on, had brown water (its much better now), and then got up Sunday morning to no water coming out of the shower – problem with our water pump! I didn't smell too fresh for Sunday morning worship, but with some Bath & Body Works lotion I got for my birthday I camouflaged it fairly well I think. Thank the L0rd for ponytail holders is all I can say.
We are anticipating our crate arriving from South Asia to the port tomorrow, and then brought to our city by the end of the week. We are soooo ready for our things to get here. Camping out in our house isn't so fun anymore! We'll still have our mattress on the floor though, because the mattress sizes are different here therefore the bed sizes are different here. Once we get our mattress, we'll measure it and have a bed made to fit it. We'll be so happy to have our mattress that we won't care that its on the floor for awhile longer!
There are many wonderful ministries established here in our new city, and many, many opportunities to serve. I can't help but wonder exactly where our place will be! Its exciting to see all the possibilities and sometimes hard to wait to see where G0d will have us serve. Language learning is a primary thing for now and we must remain focused on that because so much of what we will be able to do later hinges on learning the language well. And we know that the support role Steve will have in the office in a couple of months will be a huge area of service to enable the work here and all over Asia. But we also know the Father has people already chosen for us to meet, to share His hope with, to disciple and encourage. Purpose Driven life is giving me some great reminders as we begin our work here:
"Does this activity help me fulfill one of God's purposes for my life?"
"It is impossible to do everything people want you to do. You have just enough time to do God's will. If you can't get it all done, it means you're trying to do more than God intended for you to do, or you're watching too much TV. (haha---that's a good one, but not a temptation for us here b/c we have no cable!) You become effective by being selective."
I had opportunities to learn in Conway, AR and in Fort Worth, TX that I can't do a million things well, I can only do a few things well. So now I get to exercise that great wisdom by resting in the knowledge that for me language learning and being a great wife, mom, and teacher is what He has for me right now as I spend time in pr-yer for those persons of peace that the Father will be bringing our way for us to share with.
"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because He trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3
"G0d is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of – infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes." Ephesians 3:20



1 comment:
My family and I had to "camp" in houses when we moved to San Diego when I was 10 and to Conway when I was 13, each time for about 3 months. And you know what? I have fond memories of those times! I definitely used my imagination a lot. :) As happy as you'll all be to get your "stuff," the closeness all this is forging in your family is priceless.
Post a Comment