
Idea taken from http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/
Outside my window…hazy and cool….it was one of the coolest days of the year here. I don’t think it quite made it to 80 F today.
I am thinking…..that I didn’t consider myself to be a materialistic kind of person, until coming here and several material things that we miss are on my mind more than I ever thought they would be! Like soft furniture and mattresses. And hot water, from the tap, for longer than a few very short minutes. Everytime I take a shower, I think about the size of our hot water tanks in the states, and even better, the tank-less hot water heater that my parents have now that allows endless hot water. I may take a 2 hour shower when I get back there!! And tortilla chips. And Velveeta. And cheddar cheese. Ok, now my mouth is watering. (We can find Kraft cheddar at the ‘big’ store but its probably 2.5 times the price we’d pay at Walmart…we splurged for it once, and probably will again!) But then I walk down the street and see people living in make-shift tents made from tarps, children who don’t get to go to school, women working on construction sites and I have to wonder what is wrong with me. Why is it that I always want more, more, more instead of just being thankful for what we have.
I am thankful for….an amazing husband who is sooo helpful to me, from helping buy groceries from the local markets to doing a fantastic job keeping the blog updated with pictures and descriptions of all of our comings and goings. I wouldn’t survive it here without him!! And survival mode is where I am right now….pr@yerfully will get to that thriving range one of these days!
From the kitchen….we have been eating pretty well. I never thought I would figure out things to cook here! I may have to go on a diet after all these Christmas goodies I have consumed! Cinnamon rolls, sugar cookies, and banana bread…YUM. Tonight we are trying a new local restaurant….they don’t open for supper until 7pm though and best of all THEY DELIVER! Woohoo! We are loving all these places that deliver here, even groceries!
I am wearing…gray sweatpants, short sleeve white top, socks (it is winter here after all!)
I am reading…..my language learning book a lot, and Streams in the Desert….perhaps I should find some new things to read because this is what I put last time I posted several weeks ago! Its hard to find time to read much else right now, although my children have introduced me to Farmville on facebook and that is quite fun. :o)
I am hoping…..that our house helper, Maria, is having a great time off this week for the holidays. We gave her what we would consider a very tiny Christmas bonus, but for her it was huge, for which she cried with thanks and shared that her mother needed medical care but they were not able to afford it. Because of this gift, she would take her mother to the doctor. We pr@yed with her for her mother’s health and look forward to the ways the Father will move in her life.
I am creating…..a notebook with sentences in our new language so I can better practice and memorize them. The lists of vocabulary words overwhelm me!!! But the local people are so very thrilled to hear us attempting to say anything at all in their language. They say people live here for 30 years and never attempt to learn it because English is widely spoken enough in the big city that you can survive here well enough.
I am hearing…..Noah and his friend playing volleyball on the Wii in the living room….they are really into it!
Around the house…..right now the power is out, but we have a backup generator that runs the very basics such as lights and our refrigerator. The washer is stuck with clothes in it waiting on full power to come back up so it can finish. Let me just say, I am thrilled to have a working washer now!!! We have no working lights in our bedroom…the light bulbs literally blew out from a power surge I guess. We got some new ones today so hopefully they are the right size and we’ll not be in the dark again tonight.
One of my favorite things…..fresh flowers that are widely available, smell soooo good, and are dirt cheap.
A few plans for the rest of the week….a trip to the ‘big’ store to stock up on some staple items, maybe a trip to see a friend in the north part of our city and help her do some things as well as pick up a package that has arrived for us, B!ble study on Wed. nite, not sure what else. We were supposed to leave today to go to Bangkok, but had to cancel our trip. We’ll travel by early April to somewhere!
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you….(I couldn't pick between these 2 so here are both of them!)
Outside my window…hazy and cool….it was one of the coolest days of the year here. I don’t think it quite made it to 80 F today.
I am thinking…..that I didn’t consider myself to be a materialistic kind of person, until coming here and several material things that we miss are on my mind more than I ever thought they would be! Like soft furniture and mattresses. And hot water, from the tap, for longer than a few very short minutes. Everytime I take a shower, I think about the size of our hot water tanks in the states, and even better, the tank-less hot water heater that my parents have now that allows endless hot water. I may take a 2 hour shower when I get back there!! And tortilla chips. And Velveeta. And cheddar cheese. Ok, now my mouth is watering. (We can find Kraft cheddar at the ‘big’ store but its probably 2.5 times the price we’d pay at Walmart…we splurged for it once, and probably will again!) But then I walk down the street and see people living in make-shift tents made from tarps, children who don’t get to go to school, women working on construction sites and I have to wonder what is wrong with me. Why is it that I always want more, more, more instead of just being thankful for what we have.
I am thankful for….an amazing husband who is sooo helpful to me, from helping buy groceries from the local markets to doing a fantastic job keeping the blog updated with pictures and descriptions of all of our comings and goings. I wouldn’t survive it here without him!! And survival mode is where I am right now….pr@yerfully will get to that thriving range one of these days!
From the kitchen….we have been eating pretty well. I never thought I would figure out things to cook here! I may have to go on a diet after all these Christmas goodies I have consumed! Cinnamon rolls, sugar cookies, and banana bread…YUM. Tonight we are trying a new local restaurant….they don’t open for supper until 7pm though and best of all THEY DELIVER! Woohoo! We are loving all these places that deliver here, even groceries!
I am wearing…gray sweatpants, short sleeve white top, socks (it is winter here after all!)
I am reading…..my language learning book a lot, and Streams in the Desert….perhaps I should find some new things to read because this is what I put last time I posted several weeks ago! Its hard to find time to read much else right now, although my children have introduced me to Farmville on facebook and that is quite fun. :o)
I am hoping…..that our house helper, Maria, is having a great time off this week for the holidays. We gave her what we would consider a very tiny Christmas bonus, but for her it was huge, for which she cried with thanks and shared that her mother needed medical care but they were not able to afford it. Because of this gift, she would take her mother to the doctor. We pr@yed with her for her mother’s health and look forward to the ways the Father will move in her life.
I am creating…..a notebook with sentences in our new language so I can better practice and memorize them. The lists of vocabulary words overwhelm me!!! But the local people are so very thrilled to hear us attempting to say anything at all in their language. They say people live here for 30 years and never attempt to learn it because English is widely spoken enough in the big city that you can survive here well enough.
I am hearing…..Noah and his friend playing volleyball on the Wii in the living room….they are really into it!
Around the house…..right now the power is out, but we have a backup generator that runs the very basics such as lights and our refrigerator. The washer is stuck with clothes in it waiting on full power to come back up so it can finish. Let me just say, I am thrilled to have a working washer now!!! We have no working lights in our bedroom…the light bulbs literally blew out from a power surge I guess. We got some new ones today so hopefully they are the right size and we’ll not be in the dark again tonight.
One of my favorite things…..fresh flowers that are widely available, smell soooo good, and are dirt cheap.
A few plans for the rest of the week….a trip to the ‘big’ store to stock up on some staple items, maybe a trip to see a friend in the north part of our city and help her do some things as well as pick up a package that has arrived for us, B!ble study on Wed. nite, not sure what else. We were supposed to leave today to go to Bangkok, but had to cancel our trip. We’ll travel by early April to somewhere!
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you….(I couldn't pick between these 2 so here are both of them!)



No comments:
Post a Comment