Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fresh fruit!!

There are some things about living in a third world country that makes life a little harder, but the good far surpasses the bad. One of the good things is the endless supply of fresh fruits. You can walk out of your house here and literally see fruits stands lined up ready to serve - apples, oranges, bananas, pine apples, and pomegranates ... and the list goes on with fresh vegetables as well (we do, however, have to soak everything we buy in potassium permanganate for about 30 minutes to kill off all the "bad" stuff). We had never really tried pomegranates back in the states, but it has become one of our favorite things to eat. And who knew it was full of vitamins A, C, and E and folic acid!?!? Below is a picture of Emma eating a favorite snack ... apple and pomegranate salad!!

We've been seeing these around, but they are called mush melons ... and, well quite honestly, they didn't sound all that appetizing. We decided to buy one just to see what was inside and discovered a whole new world of CANTALOUPE!!

Genesis 1:12 - "The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And G0d saw that it was good."

2 comments:

Mich said...

Oh how I miss the fruit of Asia.

I remember the street vendors in Bangkok...fresh fruit was the snack of the day. No wonder I was healthier then!!!

Kecia said...

I don't even know HOW to eat pomegranate. (Or spell it--I had to look!) But it all looks good! It's such a blessing to read how you're Provided For.