My new Bible study for seminary wives started Saturday morning...what a neat group! And how excited I am to be doing the new Beth Moore study that I was sad to miss doing at home!! (A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place - revised) We meet in a classroom building on campus and watch on a big projected screen and there are speakers in the ceiling. Its pretty neato!
As I was studying today, God affirmed why we are here through His words to Abraham in Genesis 12:1 "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you." Beth writes: "Have you ever noticed that God often requires us to leave our comfort zones to answer our calling? That through which God hones us is rarely within the parameters of the familiar." Boy, isn't that the truth. We are reminded of that often these days...especially when trying to find a church here...would a 6 hour commute to Conway and back every Sunday be that bad really?!
*********************************************************************************
We got our first full month's electric bill. We knew Conway Corp was a pretty good deal...now do we ever know that! Its time for some radical changes around here. We have turned the thermostat up, put new weather stripping at the backdoor, turned down the hot water heater (120 degrees) and the fridge ( I put a thermometer in there), turned on the fan, made sure the air filter on the AC is changed regularly, and have a new family focus on turning off lights, etc when not using them! We are hoping to see a significant improvement in our next bill. I don't have a clothesline, but I may have to get one! I'm resisting that for now since it would definitely qualify as being outside of my comfort zone. :o) I am reminding myself that considering much of the world's standard of living, we are pretty spoiled!!!
Monday, October 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Hi, I have enjoyed reading your blog! Thanks so much for linking to my prayer blog and my personal blog.
It's so neat to read about how the Lord has led your family.
Do you have a specific country/area of the world in mind for future service? We really need people in Mozambique!
God Bless,
Angie Lechner
Its funny to me that someone like you would read my blog! I love your post on never knowing who may be reading but God knows. I sure have enjoyed reading yours!!! In so many ways, I can hardly wait to be able to do what you do. But in other ways God shows me that He knows exactly what He's doing in His timing and I have MUCH to learn. We have a huge map of India hanging in our hallway. Not really something we can explain and that may not be the place. We also have a huge map of the world in the hallway as well (we have a very long hallway)...so we are wide open to location! We are still in that phase of shaking our heads in bewilderment that we are even on this journey...we are just ordinary people who were living ordinary lives and what in the world are we doing here on this campus getting ready to do WHAT?! But excited doesn't even describe it...there's no greater thrill than being on a ride with God.
I'm so excited to have 'met' you! Thank you so much for posting! I am humbled and honored to get a note from you!
P.S. How do you make homemade tortillas?? I would love to try!
Joanna,
Oh my goodness.....if you only knew me girl....I am nobody....just a regular person with lots of warts and issues. We are people just like you that God has asked to serve Him in a place far away from what they are used to.
I am so excited for you. I wish I had been so excited and positive about my future when I was where you are now. I was just plain scared, terrified is more like it! God has had to show me over and over that HE is in control, that I am not, and any amount of worrying on my part is just wasted time. And believe me I have wasted a LOT of time worrying.
I'll be praying that God will show you where He wants you, in His time.
(I selfishly pray that it's Mozambique! We need help here.)
I enjoyed the pictures of your kids around campus. I have such happy memories of Ft. Worth. My father was a student there when I was in kindergarten and first grade. I remember riding my bike around campus and picking up pecans. It still smells like it did back then.
Then we were there from 90-94 when my husband was in seminary. Our first son was born there. We made so many friends there. They were tough years but good years.
I'm so happy to meet you too. Never for one second think that I am someone special because I'm a missionary. And when you finally are in your new home in your new country you will be shocked to realize it's the same you, doing the same things you would (sort of) in America, just in another place. God uses normal people who are unqualified and un-everything, so He can be everything we need. I get messed up when I think I have anything to offer Him or start trying to do things for Him instead of letting Him use me to do things.
Ok, I didn't mean to go on and on. We really should email instead (lechner@tvcabo.co.mz) If you email me, I'll email you back and give you my tortilla recipe. It's so easy....just flour, oil, salt and water.
Wow...amazing words...so so true.
PECANS! Yes, we are picking up pecans by the bag full here and loving it! I just made my first pecan pie from scratch, crust and all...I was quite proud of myself! :o)
Post a Comment