Monday, January 21, 2008

Homemade Tortillas...YUM!

They weren't perfect, but fun and very good! Here's Angie's recipe if you would like to try them:

Flour Tortillas

4 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
7 tblsp. shortening or oil (I use oil)
1 cup water

Mix together to form a ball. Add more water if necessary until bowl is clear of all dough. Knead well. Make into small balls about the size of an egg. Let these stand for about 15 minutes. Roll thin with a rolling pin to about the size of a salad plate. Place in hot, ungreased skillet and cook for 2 min. on one side. Turn and cook 1 min. longer.
*Don't get pan too hot, better to cook a little longer on low heat. You want a few light, light brown spots. Can freeze these and reheat.
**For hot climates....when letting the bowls of dough sit for 15 min, place in fridge or dough will melt back together.

5 comments:

The Brown's said...

Everytime I look at your page there is food. You people are making me hungry and not sharing.:)
Yummy!!

Angie said...

Hey! I haven't stopped by in awhile. I'm so glad the tortillas worked and you liked them. They look great!!

We will be stateside, in Louisiana, from April to August. We would love to stop by and meet y'all when we are in Ft. Worth, if we can!

S and J said...

We would absolutely LOVE to see you!!!

Angie said...

OK, cool! You can email me your address. We love Ft.Worth - many happy memories there - best of which is the day our eldest was born. We lived in Carol Park on Merida St. in those lovely, lovely duplexes. :-)

Can't wait to meet you in person.

Jackie in AR said...

I've copied off your recipe. Those look great.