Friday, December 10, 2010

The Not So Simple Woman's Daybook 12/10/2010

Outside my window… high of 84 today and low of 68 tonight, cloudy with a chance of thundershowers tonight which is a little unusual b/c this is the dry season. We haven’t had rain for several weeks now. It feels so nice today with the cloudiness. We have the windows open and I don’t have that overwhelming urge to turn on the a/c today. Yay.

I am thinking….that we have had a crazy year. And there have been lots of times that it seemed so hard that we were ready to quit. Three family deaths, a trip back to the US too soon in our first term out, visa issues, crazy persistent overwhelming health problems, a move to a 2nd foreign country in under a year, starting over in language learning, and a change in job roles are the biggies. Then weave in power outages, empty water tanks, language barriers, broken down washing machines and ovens, relying on public transportation, missing family so bad that it hurts, strange bugs and snakes and geckos EVERYWHERE, trying to re-learn how to drive, and being in the Bangkok warzone hearing gunfire and grenades, seeing and smelling smoke, and being barricaded from getting out to buy food. I remember singing a song about not wanting to just go through the motions of life when we were in Fort Worth. Be careful what you pray for? Sometimes I wonder what must I have been thinking?! Most of the time those times of wanting to quit came at opposite times for Steve and I, which is a really good thing. But when I think of all the L0rd has done to get us here to start with, there’s no way I could believe that He would have us turn back now. We sang a family song in several churches before we left the states. “When I am weak, You make me strong, When I’m blind, You shine You’re light on me, B/c I’ll never get by living on my own ability. Its by the power of Christ in me.” We thought we knew what those words meant when we were singing them. There was one part that I could barely choke out sometimes: “I’d give my last breath for Your glory” because even as I uttered those words, I wondered if I had to capacity to mean what I was saying. Today, sitting here on a “good” day, it would be impossible for me to list all the GOOD things from the year b/c there are many. And isn't it crazy how we are quicker to remember the bad instead of the good?! I know there are a lot harder things in this world than the kind of stuff I’ve listed here. And there will be other hard things to add to the list, I’m sure. Because the L0rd doesn’t talk about “if” we will suffer, but “when”we suffer. If there was no suffering then why would we need Him so much. And boy do we ever need Him. One of my favorite new quotes is this by Brother Lawrence: “L0rd, I cannot do this unless Thou enablest me.” And when he failed, he was quick to acknowledge, “I shall never do otherwise if You leave me to myself; it is You who must hinder my falling and mend what is amiss.” Anyway…..that’s a little of what I’ve been thinking.

I am thankful for….our family and friends. What a gift.

From the kitchen….I’m getting more comfortable in our kitchen here and figuring out what to cook. There are lot more choices here of things to cook with, although we will always miss those pre-mixed time saving items that are hard to come by here. I am remembering some things that I haven’t been able to make in a while and excited to try those here. I planned to try out making Stromboli in the next fews days. I’ve always used frozen bread dough, so it will be different to make my own to use. Our oven’s lower baking element burned up this week. Its going to be another week before its fixed, but we are thankful that it should be repaired before Christmas.

I am wearing…. Comfy gray cotton pants that I picked up at Walmart in Little Rock back in February that I am so thankful to have, white t-shirt, barefoot, hair on top of my head in a pony-twist. Today is Constitution Day here so we have enjoyed the day off lounging around a bit.

I am reading…. Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver. I read it a few years ago but it seems like I’ve never read it before. I am thankful it made it into my suitcase to come here.

I am hoping…..to take up the sport of running. Hahahaha. But I really am serious. I have always been a walker if I do anything, not a runner. And I’ve had some knee problems. But I’m trying to work up to it gradually and I’m being extremely careful. The mini-trampoline my sis got me for my birthday has been good for working up to this. We’ll see what happens! Most every night we have at least 30 minutes when we walk out the door as a family and around in our neighborhood doing walking, running, bike riding, dog walking, soccer ball kicking, etc. It has been so nice to be able to walk out our door and do that. There are no scary dogs and no smelly trash, no one about to run over us. Its quite heavenly.

I am creating….a list of good things to cook for the holidays. The kids are helping with that list so its full of desserts, but I think I look forward to some other things like broccoli and cheese casserole! I’ll have to figure out some substitutes but I plan to give it a try!

I am hearing…..a very squeaky fan overhead, lots of birds chirping, but its fairly quiet which is so nice.

Around the house….we got 3 boxes in the mail yesterday which thrilled us all!! 2 of them are from my family and most everything was gift wrapped in tissue paper with names on them, so we carefully took them out and will put them in a gift bag for each of us to put under the Christmas tree to open on Christmas. The kids are absolutely giddy with anticipation. The 3rd box came from our sweet friends in Colorado. We were thinking of waiting to open it too, but she encouraged us to go ahead since she put in some Christmas decorations, so we dove into that one today and had great fun. It never ceases to amaze us to see all that will fit into one of those flat rate boxes! Pics will be coming.

One of my favorite things….sweet tarts. (have I said that before?!) I got 2 boxes in the mail a couple of weeks ago and have been working on finishing up the first box a little every night. It just makes me happy to have those in my possession. :o)

A few plans for the rest of the week….we have been here for 3 months of language so far and that will continue for a long while every afternoon. Steve will be starting his work here in the office on Monday morning. Thursday is the kids’ Christmas program at school. Friday is a school half day and beginning of a 2 week break. That’s the day that Noah will be spending the morning sharing with a couple of children from the slums. We got them each a backpack and filled it with a stuffed dog, a t-shirt, and school supplies and Noah will be giving them that. He is so looking forward to it. Our friends from Conway are moving to our city that afternoon and we look forward to showing them around. The following week will be an opportunity to share with the village kids that stay in the hostel on the compound where our foundation offices are located. We have gifts for a couple of the girls there all ready to bring. On Monday, I’ll be meeting a new friend whose name means “frog” (bless her heart!). Her husband left her 5 months ago and I am wondering how the Father plans to use us to share with her.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you….actually several b/c its been awhile!....
This lovely plant (maybe a Christmas cactus???) was brought to us this week by a new sweet friend. She brought it the day Steve's grandfather died. We weren't there to get to take home a green plant like we like to do, so this is our take home one for him and for my granny that passed away about 6 weeks ago. I hope I can figure out how to properly take care of it!
My new shoes!!! (They came in a box a couple of weeks ago from my family.) And my first day to wear them, we met some friends that are serving in our former city/country for dinner. I looked down at her feet and saw that she had some too! It was a picture moment. :o)

(she's on a step above me...I'm short, but not that short next to her! haha)


Enjoying my stash of the goodies in the box we opened today. I ate the Almond Joy first and the Butterfinger second, and put the rest up for later. YUMMY! (Now you see why I must take up running!)

No comments: