Thursday, January 27, 2011

a new direction....

To THE most incredible group of praying churches, friends, and family:

As you know, Joanna, the kids, and I recently accompanied a group to a hill tribe village a little over a week ago. It was an incredible time of spiritual renewal, and G0d instantly energized our hearts as He gave us a small glimpse of the lostness that was tucked away deep in the middle of those mountains. We were so excited to be able to practice our language with them, but above that, we were excited for the great blessings of being able to love on these precious people as we were called there to do. Like so many on the field, we have experienced several moments of weakness over the past several months with deaths, sicknesses, and some of the most intense spiritual warfare we've ever experienced. But G0d used the trip to refresh us, to the point that He was able to carry our family right through the 1 year anniversary of my dad’s death this past Saturday with a peace that could only come from Him. We arrived back in Ch!ang Ma! after the village trip with our armor on and ready to fight the fight. However, beginning Saturday evening and confirmed in the deep down places of our hearts just last night, G0d began moving in a way that neither of us expected. He has brought Joanna and me both to a place of understanding that it is now time for our family to return to the states. We have spent the last 48 hours immersed in Scr!pture and have sought the L0rd like never before. And in that, we have received affirmation through Scripture and a powerful Holy Sp!rit conviction that for reasons known only to Him, it is time for us to move on. Our zeal and desire to reach the nations and to show love to people has not changed nor will it ever change; however, and again for reasons we don’t know, He is changing the avenue by which we do it.

We have nothing planned out in the way of a job, a home, or a vehicle … we sold or gave away most of our belongings, and in my flesh, the reality of not having "having it all figured out" scares me to death. But as I sit here and type this out with tears in my eyes and a hurting heart, I know that our G0d will reveal all those details in His perfect timing. My job as the leader of my home is to do what is best for my family, and I’m thankful that despite me, He still loves me, communicates with me, and shows me the way. The peace that is so far beyond our comprehension is sitting rock solid in our hearts. Joanna and I are unified in this and take the greatest amount of comfort knowing that He has spoken Scr!pture to us both in affirm this new way He is asking us to walk. Because it has always been our heart's goal to be real and transparent with you, and because of the investment you've made in our lives, please read a couple verses that G0d brought to us in a very real and meaningful way ... verses that we've read hundreds of times in reading from Isaiah, but verses that spoke clearly and specifically to our hearts during our alone time with the Father over the last couple days:

For Joanna: From Isaiah 41:9-10 ...
"I have called you back from the ends of the earth, saying, 'You are my servant.' For I have chosen you and will not throw you away. Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your G0d. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

For me: Just a few pages over from Isaiah 43:19 ...
"I will make a pathway through the wilderness for my people to come home."

And moving forward with transparency, we wouldn't be approaching you in transparency if we didn't admit how painful and difficult the process has been to get to this point. Though we have the confidence that comes from Chr!st that this is right, for those of you who have been a part of this journey for the last several years, you know the preparations and the siftings that He took us through to get us here. It makes NO sense to our flesh that things have turned out the way they have. I remember a friend of ours asking Joanna while we were in seminary a couple years ago, "do you think you'll be there forever?" Joanna's response, a resounding "Oh, I HOPE so." But He has different plans. As I mentioned earlier, if you've prayed even one prayer for our family, you have made an investment into our lives. One of the hardest parts about sending this note is the disappointment that will also find its way to your hearts as well. We are so, so sorry if we have let you down. You are an amazing community of supporters and have without doubt made more of a difference in our lives than you can even comprehend. It is our hope and prayer that these words will come to you and be received with the love and honesty intended.

In closing, He has told me specifically that He is "about to do a new thing and that our part in it is to hang on and trust." While we are hanging on and trusting, we also know the difference He makes in your conversations with Him. And with that, we need you to pray very clearly and specifically for the following:

· That we would be able to remain focused on this new calling during the stresses of packing up our lives … that Proverbs 20:24 would be real in our hearts – “How can we understand the road we travel? It is the L0RD who directs our steps.”
· That we will armor up DAILY as we face the days ahead
· That the enemy would not gain a foothold in discouraging us and placing doubt in our hearts
· That we would stand firm on what He has shown us
· That G0d would comfort our kids’ hearts (and ours) as they say goodbye to friends once again.
· That G0d would reveal the plans He has for us regarding a job in the states and all that goes with this move – a home, a vehicle, our finances.
· That we would recall His ultimate plan – “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the L0RD, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
· That G0d would give us clear direction logistically as to what we are to do with our things here in Ch!ang Mai, including homeschool books. The kids are also wanting to take some of their things with them, but since we are terminating our employment, moving expenses aren’t covered. Please pray over these details with us.

Also pray as I share my testimony with our group of Tha! friends tomorrow. Half the group are believers while the other half are B-ddhists. They have all been attending a B!ble study for several months now – please pray that those who don’t understand Truth will soon understand.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Just want you to know I have been praying for you guys every time you come to mind (which is a lot! ha!). I know how you felt about going before you left, so I know that trusting the Lord's direction right now can't be easy for you, but what a testimony you are to us that have followed your journey! Love you guys <3